Building Operations Manager
About Weeksville Heritage Center
Weeksville Heritage Center (WHC) is a historic site and cultural center in Central Brooklyn that uses education, arts, and a social justice lens to preserve, document and inspire engagement with the history of Weeksville, one of the largest free Black communities in pre-Civil War America, and the Historic Hunterfly Road Houses. Founded in 1838, Weeksville was the second largest of approximately 100 independent African-American communities established before the Civil War.
When a group of community activists rediscovered three remaining original homes 1968, they purchased, rehabilitated, and restored the Hunterfly Road Houses, re-opening their doors as the Weeksville Heritage Center in 1973. In 2014, WHC opened its new Cultural Arts and Education Center and campus, including a visual arts gallery, performance space, resource center, and administrative offices. WHC is now poised for a bright new era, with the resources and vision in place to fully activate our history and expand our education, preservation, and public programming.
Recently announced as New York City’s newest Cultural Institutions Group (CIG) member, the first since 1998, WHC is one of New York City’s cultural treasures, dedicated to preserving and celebrating the story of the 19th century African-American community of Weeksville, a nationally significant, exceptionally well-documented and rare extant example of an independent African-American community organized by Black entrepreneurs and land investors to promote economic, social, and political rights.
The Building Operations Manager will oversee and perform repairs and maintenance of all WHC buildings, including the landmarked historic houses, HVAC units, machinery and equipment as required to ensure that facilities are clean, safe and in compliance with all government and program regulations and standards. The Building Operations Manager will have knowledge of and manages and oversees the maintenance of all systems including HVAC, heating and cooling of the administrative building/offices and the historic homes, plumbing, fire, electrical and the geothermal systems.
- Oversees maintenance of WHC facilities and the cleaning and trash pick up of the grounds, exterior of WHC and car park lot on a daily basis.
- Manages and coordinates the maintenance/custodial staff including scheduling, time off requests, performance management, and coaching/mentoring.
- Collaborates with the Operations Director on the Facilities budget including submission of purchase orders for expenses and emergency repairs.
- Reports all needed repairs immediately and discuss solutions to fixing and requirements with the Operations Director.
- Maintains the supply and equipment inventory as well as maintenance logs.
- Provides reports as required by Executive Staff.
- Oversees and performs daily custodial and maintenance duties including routine inspection of the facility, equipment and grounds to include the historic homes.
- Ensures that all bathroom facilities are clean, sanitized, floors washed and supplies restocked as needed on a daily basis.
- Ensures all tile floors of WHC are power washed and cleaned regularly.
- Ensures all carpeted areas in the main building of WHC are washed and cleaned regularly.
- Maintains the heating and cooling temperatures in WHC and the historic homes as appropriate.
- Coordinates with contractors and vendors as needed in collaboration with the Operations Director.
- Conducts general troubleshooting on a daily basis. Perform or coordinate electrical, carpentry, plumbing and restorative repairs as needed. Oversee and perform snow removal.
- Supervises facility usage, operations, equipment maintenance and the setting up and coordinating of events with the Operations Manager and Director.
- Coordinates with the Operations Manager on the appropriate use of storage spaces.
- Coordinate opening/closing during WHC business hours and for scheduled rentals/events.
- Oversees and/or performs security functions for regular activities, rentals and events.
- Serves as primary liaison for capital projects along with the Operations Director.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field of study; or HVAC and/or other technical expertise or certification.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in facility management; working in the nonprofit sector in a social justice, arts, or cultural organization preferred.
- Diverse, working knowledge of HVAC systems, Geothermal systems, fire alarm systems heating, cooling, electrical and/or plumbing is a requirement.
- Strong familiarity with applicable NYC Fire Department and other related NYC rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated success in managing and motivating a team, both as a member and a leader.
- Proficient computer skills, especially using Google Workspace, timekeeping and leave management and other online systems.
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment requiring a great deal of flexibility and excellent judgment.
- Must acquire all required certificates and permits within the first 4 months.
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, and writing skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, being on call at various times to respond to various tasks under emergency and seasonal conditions.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position with a salary range of $70,000 – $75,000 annually. Weeksville Heritage Center offers a benefits package that is competitive with the market, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a retirement plan that employees can contribute to after the eligibility period, and paid vacation, paid sick leave, and personal days with the option for a hybrid work schedule.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include Building Operations Manager in the subject line and include where you found this job posting in the body of your email. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in the position.
Weeksville Heritage Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.